OUT OF HOURS
Out of hours medical care is organised by NHS Borders. If you require urgent medical advice or attention out of hours (between 6.00 pm and 8.00 am Monday to Friday and 6.00 pm Friday to 8.00 am Monday) please telephone NHS 24 on 111.
Calls will be handled in different ways depending on the nature of your symptoms. Your call will be taken by a trained call handler who will ask you a number of questions about your symptoms to decide how you can best be treated.
- Advise you how you can treat the symptoms yourself
- Ask you to visit your local pharmacy for further advice
- Ask you to attend one of the local minor injuries units at Duns or Kelso
- Ask you to attend the Borders Emergency Care Centre at Borders General Hospital, Melrose
- If medically necessary, arrange for a local nurse or doctor to visit you at home
- Arrange an ambulance for you if you need one
If you have chest pain, collapse, breathing difficulty or serious injury we would advise you to dial 999 for an ambulance immediately.